There are likely fire hazards in your home that go unnoticed. These could be threatening to your home over time. Once you know the hazards you can make the changes for a safer environment, here are a handful of common household fire hazards.
Overloaded Power Strips
It’s easy to use all the available space on a power strip by plugging in multiple electronics and appliances. Despite the convenience, this is extremely dangerous and can lead to sparking. Having a power strip in a crowded or cluttered area should also be avoided. If a power strip is in a crowded spot, it has a higher chance of igniting.
Fall temperatures are here, making it the perfect weather to start utilizing the space heater again. When using space heaters make sure the surrounding area is clutter free and the heater is never covered. Turn the appliance off before leaving the house or the area for any amount of time.
One of the leading causes for household fires that originate in the laundry room are from dryers that were not cleaned out. To minimize this, avoid operating a dryer without a lint screen and always clean the lint screen between loads.
This one is tricky because troublesome wires are generally out of sight. To avoid electrical problems or fires have all electrical work done by a professional electrician. Having circuit breakers replaced periodically is an important preventative measure in home maintenance.
What are your tips for eliminating fire hazards in your home? Comment below!
MarketPlace REALTY offers a wide portfolio of real estate services in the Shenandoah Valley. Call 540-450-2747 for a custom consultation, or visit us atand discover all of our beautiful current listings. We are located at 302 South Braddock St. Winchester VA, 22601. Angela Duncan, Broker. Licensed in VA and WV. Equal Housing Opportunities.