Fresh herbs can add life to meals, and make specialty drinks extra luxurious for guests. Here are a few tips for starting a simple container garden of herbs on your porch!
1.) Choose the perfect herbs. Select herbs that will thrive in our local summer climate. Rosemary, mint, basil, chives, and parsley are all easy to grow options.
1) Pick the perfect containers. Choose containers that will allow for excellent drainage. Most pots come with drainage holes, but they can easily be added to wooden or plastic pots.
2) Fill containers with high-quality potting soil. Don’t go cheap on the soil. Container gardens thrive with higher quality specialty soil. Ask for help at your local store.
3) Harvest perfectly. Frequent harvesting of your herbs will encourage new growth and keep your plants happy and healthy.
4) Water perfectly. Certain herbs like mint like a little more moisture than others, so you may have to water one section of your pot more than others. Research the herbs you select and monitor closely.
5) Feed as needed. Most herb gardens do not need to be fed more than once a month. Sometimes if they are thriving not at all. Select a fertilizer optimized for edible plants.
MarketPlace REALTY offers a wide portfolio of real estate services in the Shenandoah Valley. Call 540-450-2747 for a custom consultation, or visit us atand discover all of our beautiful current listings. We are located at 302 South Braddock St. Winchester VA, 22601. Angela Duncan, Broker. Licensed in VA and WV. Equal Housing Opportunities.