There is something kind of wonderful about spending a weekend afternoon at home and crafting up a warm soup in your kitchen during the winter. Here is an easy vegetable soup recipe that is guaranteed to make your home smell amazing and keep you toasty on a cold blustery day! To enhance the flavor of this soup try using locally grown vegetables whenever you can!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into coins
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups winter squash, cubed
- 3 cups, trimmed and chopped green beans
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 zucchini, cut in half diagonally and sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Optional shaved or grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add cabbage, squash, green beans, tomatoes and basil. Stir to combine and cook 3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer, cover, lower heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add zucchini and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until zucchini is cooked through. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan is desired.
Freshly shredded cheese, goat cheese, a few sunflower seeds, and more fresh basil.
Serve in a whole grain bread bowl an extra treat!
MarketPlace REALTY offers a wide portfolio of real estate services in the Shenandoah Valley. Call 540-450-2747 for a custom consultation, or visit us atand discover all of our beautiful current listings. We are located at 302 South Braddock St. Winchester VA, 22601. Angela Duncan, Broker. Licensed in VA and WV. Equal Housing Opportunities.